Can my son be charged with possession of someone else’s drugs?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my son be charged with possession of someone else’s drugs?

My son and 4 others where in a car. He
was not the driver but a backseat
passanger. The police approached the
vehicle and smelled marijuana. They
then searched the vehicle and found a
pipe and drug residue and charged him
with the drugs. He is 18 and I believe
the other 4 passangers 3 girls and 1
guy are 17. The driver and another
passenger already stated the drugs was
not his nor was he the one smoking. Now
they’re tryig to charge him with
possession/use of drugs and drug
paraphernalia and 4 counts of
contributing with or to minors. Is this

Asked on January 17, 2017 under Criminal Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

He can be charged if the authorities believe that there is "probable cause"--some reasonable grounds--to believe that at least some of the drugs are his; the police and prosecutor are not obligated to take what the other two suspects said at face value, but can charge and proceed with the case. They might believe the drugs are his as well based on if he had a marijuana odor or residue on him, on where the drugs were found (e.g. next to him; in a bag he owned; etc.), on statements he or the 4th and 5th passengers made, or on inconsistencies in the statements of those trying to exhonerate him which suggest they are lying.
However, while the threshhold of evidence to charge initially is fairly low, the amount of evidence or proof required to convict ("beyond a reasonable doubt") is much higher, so it may well be, based on what you write, that he has a good defense and/or there is a lack lf evidence against him, so that he can defend himself successfully (i.e. the state will not be able to prove its case) or possibly even get the case dismissed. To maximize your son's chances, retain experienced defense counsel to represent him--as stated, it may be possible for an experienced lawyer to get the case fairly quickly dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption