Can my employer threaten my brothers job if I don’t step down from my position ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer threaten my brothers job if I don’t step down from my position ?

My employer of almost 18 yrs told me if I didn’t step down from my
position they would have to lay my brother off. Then they put a man who
doesn’t have near the experience that I have in my position and moved me
to an office job. I don’t know if it’s because I’m a woman or what, but I
have given my all to this place and I don’t deserve to be treated this way.

Asked on November 15, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Actually, in an "at will" employment relationship, a company can fire a worker for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. That is so long as this action does not violate the terms of any applicable union agreement/employment contract. Accordingly, if your brother has no such protection then, yes, he can be terminated. As for your demotion to a less experienced male employee, as a woman you may or may not have a claim for sex discrimination. However, based on the limited facts presented it's hard to say for sure. At this point you can contact your state's department of labor and/or consult directly with a local employment law attorney about your situation.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption