Can my employer force me to work unpaid voluntary hours 10 hours a week?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer force me to work unpaid voluntary hours 10 hours a week?

I work as a primary teacher for 27 hours a week as reported to HMRC. Yet my

employer technically and indirectly asks me and other teachers to come from 8 am-

4 pm and perform duties of a full-time paid teachers. If the employer is called to

it, he said you are doing it the extra as a voluntary and if I say I cannot do

it because I have other commitments, the employer then suggests indirectly that

I consider quitting or complying.

Asked on February 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

All work time is compensable. In other words, you must be paid for it. If you are a non-exempt employee (i.e. typically paid hourly), then you are entitled to wages for the extra time that you work. If you are being threatened with termination for non-compliance then you can file a wage claim with the department of labor and/or consult with an employment law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption