What to do in case of a breach of habitability in a rental?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do in case of a breach of habitability in a rental?

The management company recently had a used furnace installed in my apartment. The person that did the work was not certified. Upon installing the furnace he substantially damaged the asbestos insulation and even removed several feet of it, improperly, and left it sitting in my basement. I had a certified asbestos contractor inspect the site and he was shocked. He sent a bid to management and I have heard nothing. It has been a week and I have been living with asbestos contamination and no working furnace. Should I hire a lawyer? Should I still pay rent? What can I expect if I hire a lawyer?

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

For health reasons alone, you should not stay in that apartment.  In every lease there is an implied warranty of habitability which means the landlord must maintain the premises in a habitable condition by complying with local and state housing codes.  The asbestos insulation damage and no working furnace  would each constitute a breach of the impled warranty of habitability.  You could either move out and terminate your obligation to pay rent for the balance of the term of the lease or if you decide to stay, you could withhold rent and defend against eviction. 

You could sue the landlord for breach of the implied warranty of habitability.  Your lawsuit should also include a separate cause of action (claim) for negligence for the improper removal and disposal of asbestos which exposed you to asbestos.   Your staying in the apartment could provide the landlord with the defense of assumption of the risk to your negligence claim.  Assumption of the risk means that you recognized and understood the danger and voluntarily chose to encounter it.

It would be advisable to speak with a landlord/tenant attorney; preferably an attorney who represents tenants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption