Can my 24 year old daughter be staying in Georgia with her family when we file for permanent residency for her?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my 24 year old daughter be staying in Georgia with her family when we file for permanent residency for her?

My daughter, son and myself moved to the Georgia in October, 2008 on K visa’s. My husband and I married 2 days after we arrived and we are still married. My daughter, unfortunately went back to Canada before she was granted her landed immigrant status and lost her status. Now 24 years old, she regrets her leaving and wants to come home. I was diagnosed with GBM, malignant glioblastoma brain cancer just over a year ago and wondered if there was a quicker way of my daughter coming home. Can she come live with us while we start the process?

Asked on January 23, 2018 under Immigration Law, Georgia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you are a US citizen, you can petition for your daughter and the process will take about 1 year.  She can be in the US for part of that time, if she can enter as a visa exempt Canadian but most likely she will not be able to stay here for the duration of the process since she can only be in the US for up to 6 months as a visitor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption