My son just married a Ukrainian …both college seniors…..recosponsor I-864

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My son just married a Ukrainian …both college seniors…..recosponsor I-864

They discovered they needed a co-sponsor for income satisfaction. Do we as co-sponsor file a “separate” I-864 and can it be hidden from the children’s view as we don’t wish to share with them our income/tax status etc. Is there a form/waiver for the immigrant spouse to sign that absolves attempts to the co-sponsor of being sued if divorce ensues. Is this a separate codicil that a lawyer would need to create. What would it cost for such approximately? Are there application and ongoing costs, as well as future financial releases, to apply and maintain this co-sponsor relationship?

Asked on January 20, 2018 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As a  sponsor, you can have the attorney submit the form with all the other forms so that the children do not see it but if you are not using an attorney and the children submit on their own, I don't see how you can keep it from them.  As for absolving any liability in the event of divorce, there is none.  The affidavit of support essentially serves as a contract between you and the government in that if the immigrant applies for any means-tested assistance, then the government can back to you for reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption