Can I take a vendor to court for not refunding my money even though I signed a receipt?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take a vendor to court for not refunding my money even though I signed a receipt?

I put down a deposit for a dress, then changed my mind about the style. The designer won’t refund my money under pretext that I knew the total price and I signed the receipt showing my deposit and balance due. Nowhere on the receipt nor in the shop, is displayed “no refund or exchange”. Can I still file small claim dispute to get my $500 back?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Business Law, Delaware


Michael D. Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can try, but it is not a clear case.  It is not clear that you had a right to cancel.  They held the dress.  But, as you did not get it, it is unclear that they can charge you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption