Can I sue my high school for falsely causing denial of employment?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my high school for falsely causing denial of employment?

I graduated from high school and have hard copies of my diploma. I was offered a position with a hospital pending a background check on the 4th. of last month. I was told approximately 15 days later that my high school would not verify my graduation. I submitted hard copies of my diploma to the company that performs the background check but they still needed verification. Approximately 30-40 days after I was offered the position initially, I was denied eligibility for employment

Asked on February 11, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you most likely cannot sue the high school. I do not believe that the high school is under an affirmative obligation to verify graduation (beyond having provided you with the diploma, that is). If someone or an institution is not under an obligation to do something, there is no cause of action or legal claim for compensation against them for their failure to do it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption