can i sue my company for not giving me a raise

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i sue my company for not giving me a raise

I started working for my in 2014. and after reading the emails from the company, about opening a dental office.
I drive a mobile dental tractor trailer for fairhaven community health clinic. So I decided to ask for a raise.
I spoke to the CEO about this raise,and was told to ask a
new doctor that is new to the clinic. this person was givin the job of managing the dental program.

I went to this person and told him abo conversation with the CEO. over the corse of emails im still waiting for it.
I have emails from him I ask in march 2017 and now we are at the end of 2017. 2038509184

Asked on December 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot sue about not getting a raise unless you had a written employment contract which guaranteed you the raise. Otherwise, without a contractual guaranty, 1) there is no right to a raise--ever: you can work for someone for 50 years+ without ever getting a raise; 2) an employer is free to set or change your compensation at will--i.e. your pay is whatever the employer decides to pay you; and 3) an oral (spoken) promise, or a written statment (ike in an email) that is not part of a contract is not enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption