Can I sue an employer for age discrimination?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue an employer for age discrimination?

I had an interview at a bar. The lady
said that I had the job and that she
would call me the following Monday to
tell me what days I would be working
that week because she had to make the
schedule. I waited all that day for a
call. I ended up texting her and asking
her what day I would start. She replied
and said, ‘I’m sorry, I thought I
texted you, I can’t have anymore people
under 21 working here.’ Meanwhile she
knew from the beginning that I was only
20 and told me I had the job.

Asked on January 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Age discrimination only has to do with discrimination based on person's age being over 40 years. There is no cause of action for age disrimination regarding a person being too young. Accordingly, unless you have some sort of written agreement that gives you protection in this situation, you unfortunately have no claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption