Can I sue a school for a refund

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a school for a refund

I took a college course at a school that will not refund students if they drop out past the first week. My professor was unqualified. He was not familiar with the subject he was teaching. He also told very disturbing stories of a criminal nature. Teachers are supposed to be good role models. They are also supposed to be familiar with the subject that they are teaching. I don’t think I should have to pay. If they refuse to make an exception and refund me can I sue?

Asked on April 23, 2018 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were not taught what you were supposed to be taught, you could sue: they would be breaching--or breaking--their agreement with you to take your money and not teach you what you were supposed to learn. To win, you'd need to convince the court that they did not cover the material, and/or that what you were taught was inaccurate.
BUT: 1) if you were taught the material accurately, there is no refund simply because the teacher was not as good as hoped--they need to have failed to teach you for you to have a valid claim or cause of action; and 2) the teacher's character or how good a role model he was is irrelevant--you are paying to learn a course, and if you learn it, it does not matter what the teacher was like as a person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption