Can a judge force a minor who is convicted of a misdemeanor to take therapy classes without the minor having any mental issues?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a judge force a minor who is convicted of a misdemeanor to take therapy classes without the minor having any mental issues?

I got a ticket for trespassing because I egged a house. I was assigned 75 hours of community service and 12 hours of counseling under the “bullying” category. Is it mandatory for me to do the therapy? Also, does the judge have the right to give me those hours without me having any mental issue? Should I ask the therapist for a certificate that I do not have any such issues?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, the court under each state's statutes is entitled to order a person convicted of certain crimes such as the one you have written about (malicious mischief/trespass) to attend anger management as well as other therapeautic classes.

Seemingly this is what you were ordered to attend as part of the sentence you received for trespass. The purpose of the course is to show to the court that you have attended a process required under state statute.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption