If my daughter who is 15 doesn’t want to go to her dad’s for weekend visitation, do I have to make her go?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter who is 15 doesn’t want to go to her dad’s for weekend visitation, do I have to make her go?

He is telling her she has to. He gets them the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekend. I have primary custody if I don’t make her go will I be in contempt?

Asked on August 28, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As the custodial parent who doesn't comply with the court ordered visitation, your daughter's father can ask the judge to hold you in contempt of court if you are intentionally not preventing or otherwis interferring with your child's visitation.
That having been said, since your daughter is 14 years old, you cannot physically force her to visit with her father if she doesn't want to. Threatening her with punishment, etc. is not likely to get what you want. The truth is that a teenager most likely would rather be with their friends than with either of their parents. In recognition of this fact, the judges tend to hold the teenagers responsible for their missed visitation, not the custodial parent. Since the custodial parent can't make a teenager visit as ordered, then the court is unlikely to find the parent in contempt of court for failing to comply with the visitation order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption