can i sue a company that owes me money if they have since changed ownership of the company

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can i sue a company that owes me money if they have since changed ownership of the company

a company owes me money for services I provided them. They promised to pay me the money and never did. They in turn changed the LLC to a new owner

Asked on March 22, 2018 under Business Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The LLC that owes you the money still owes you the money. (Since you write that they "changed the LLC to a new owner," we assume that the company that owed you money was an LLC; if that is not the case, repost your question with additional information.)
An LLC is a "person": it is it's own legal entity. If an LLC enters into a contract or owes a person or business money, it is that LLC--not its owner(s)--who has the obligation or debt. You have to pursue the LLC (the same LLC; that is, the same entity) for the money, regardless of who may now own it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption