potential injury from a hotel

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

potential injury from a hotel

My daughter and I stayed at a large hotel chain. When we checked in, the room smelled like cigarette smoke. The bell hop brought in an air purifier which filters out bad odors. He turned it on and left the room. We stayed in our room for several hours with the unit on. Upon check out I spoke with the manger because there were ants in my daughters bed and she was bit by something overnight looked like a spider bite to me. The manager wanted to go to the room so I could show him the ants. When weentered the room he was alarmed to see the air purifier and asked if we had it on while in the room. I said yes. He said that was very dangerous and we could have gotten sick from carbon monoxide poisoning. He was very concerned and asked me to identify the bell hop who put it in the room. He did not offer me any compensation. Do I have a legal case here for potential harm to me and my daughter?

Asked on September 22, 2017 under Personal Injury, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In order to sue for a personal injury, someone must have suffered a harm that was caused by another's negligence. Here, fortunately, there was no injury suffered. Accordingly, you have no standing to make a legal claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption