Can I receive restitution from Hotel that has roaches and plumbing issues?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I receive restitution from Hotel that has roaches and plumbing issues?

I have been staying in a hotel for 3
weeks so far. They know I am planning to
stay longer till my house is available.
First room here had plumbing issues and
heater didn’t work. Second room the TV
didn’t work and found a cockroach. Third
room had a cockroach in it. Second week
they deducted 25 for plumbing issue
from week 1. Third week they deducted
25 for the 2 room moves within 36
hours. Do I have any legal rights for
the inconveniences I have endured?

Asked on November 17, 2017 under Business Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your only legal right is to receive compensation for the actual dollar amount of any costs you incur due to their issues (e.g. if you have to have clothing or other items professionally cleaned due to the pest problem) or to terminate the rental early without penalty if in uninhabitable space. There is no right to compensation for "inconvenience."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption