Can I keep this money?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I keep this money?

I have 600 dollars from my recently live-in boyfriends account that he
asked me to take out of his account in case something should happen to him
while seriously sick in the hospital. He passed away and now his sister
wants it. He wanted me to have the to take care of his dog after he passed
knowing that I don’t have extra money in case something should happen to
her and normal costs for her. He had know will.

Asked on March 10, 2018 under Estate Planning, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please accept our sympathy for your loss.
Money given ("gifted") to you by your boyfriend before he died is your money: he had the right to do whatever he wished with his money while alive--give it to someone, spend it however he wished, etc.--and after he passes away, neither his estate nor his heirs have any right to reclaim or recover money he gave away or spent while alive. A gift, once given, cannot be ungiven and belongs to the recipient.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption