Can I get out of my rent to own contract and get my down payment back?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get out of my rent to own contract and get my down payment back?

I just found out my landlord, who is also my neighbor, plead guilty to a sexual assault against a teenager charge a few years ago. I have 2 small children. I do not feel comfortable living next to a man like this.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I cna surely understand how you must feel.  ALl states have a version of Meghan's Law and the requirements of a landlord to give notice in the lease about the existence of state's registry or data base of sex offenders and how to access that information.  Some states do require that a landlord actually disclose such information that they have actual knowledge of to the tenant.  I would go and speak with a tenant's rights group or a realestate attorney in your area on what the requirements in PA are on this matter and if you can have the lease adjudged voiud in court.  You can not just break it at this time.  You need legal grounds.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption