Can I get alimony on a non contested divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get alimony on a non contested divorce?

Married 22 years
Husband has decided he wants me to leave
No joint property
I only have my social security
He makes 120,000
Can I receive alimony?

Asked on September 10, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The North Caolina alimony statute contains 16 factors that the court considers in deciding if alimony is warranted.  I will give you links to the statute so that you can look at the 16 factors yourself.  Do not be deterred about hiring an attorney.  Likely he will be required to pay for your attorney and I will give you a link to that statute as well.  You are always permitted to negotiate a settlement for alimony but you should NOT do that on your own and you need to know what the law entitles you to.  Please see at least a consultation from an attorney.  Call the local bar association and see if they have a referral service. You have a VERY good shot at support here.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption