Does a state’s residency requirements apply to military personnel?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a state’s residency requirements apply to military personnel?

I’m active duty who is married civilian spouse in LA. Which state can I file? We’ve been married almost 8 years, have 2 children and my wife is currently pregnant. We own no home or other property; we reside on base. My wife wants to leave to live in LA before the divorce is finalized but still wants to divorce and has agreed to sign.

Asked on September 11, 2018 under Family Law, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I believe that they are the same: you must reside or be stationed in the State of Nebraska for the time required for filing of a divroce action: residentcy.  And Residency is one year.  Please seek legal help here.  Military pensions are divided differently than civilian pensions and there are kids and support involved.  Thank you for your service to our country.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption