Can I appeal a mediation agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I appeal a mediation agreement?

After 10 hours of mediation I was exhausted, in physical pain, hungry, emotionally worn out by my very manipulative soon-to-be ex-husband. Looking back on it I was under a lot of pressure to settle.

My attorney did nothing to help me. I am very unhappy with the outcome. Is there some way to appeal?It hasn’t gone to a judge yet.

Asked on May 3, 2018 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Most likely not: once you enter into any kind of agreement--at mediation; a settlement in court; a contract--you are almost always held to the terms of what you agreed to. Otherwise, if people could appeal them because they re-thought them, agreements would be effectively valueless and unenforceable. The law assumes you understood and agreed to what you signed; the law also assumes that if you did not agree, you would not have signed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption