What is my ex’s responsibility regarding spousal insurance coverage for me?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my ex’s responsibility regarding spousal insurance coverage for me?

I was divorced about a year ago. In the divorce decree my wife was supposed to cover my health insurance until December of this year. Her company got wind of the divorce and after 30 days terminated my coverage. Is

she still liable to pay out of pocket for me to find insurance?

Asked on October 12, 2019 under Family Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if she was required in the decree, which as a court order is binding and enforceable, to provide you health insurance, then if her company (properly, by the way) stoppted covering you since you were a non-spouse, she had to pay for or provide health insurance for you in some other way. You could bring a motion under the docket number of your divorce case for a court order that she reimburse you for any/all costs which you had to bear which she should instead have paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption