Can a minor get married with an adult with one of the parents parental consent

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a minor get married with an adult with one of the parents parental consent

im 16 and I want to get married with a
22 year old. My mom has full physical
custody and my parents have joint
legal custody, can I get married with my
moms parental consent?

Asked on August 26, 2017 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are located in the State of Pennsylvania, which is rallt eh Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.  From my understanding of the law there, minors must have both the written approval of a judge of the Orphnas' Court Division of the Common Please AND a written consent form a parent or legal guardian. "A" parent is what I read.  But I think once you make the application Dad may jump in there and object.  Tread wisely.  Marriage is a big step and you still have high school and college to complete which is a lot to do.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption