Can a J1 visa holder change to either F1 or H1

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a J1 visa holder change to either F1 or H1

What is the process to change the J1 to F1 or H1. does he need any letter from
the J1 employerI mean the management?

Asked on October 23, 2016 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

For the H-1B transfer it is possible if the J-1 does not have a 2 year home residency requirement and the H-1B quota is not filled or the job is not subject to the quota.  For the F-1 change of status, it should be fine regardless, although if there is a condition on the J-1, it would still need to be resolved before changing from F-1 to anything else in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption