Can i travel to Canada on short trip and come back to US with H1b Stamping/I94 expiring in less than a month ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i travel to Canada on short trip and come back to US with H1b Stamping/I94 expiring in less than a month ?


I have a similar situation here, looking for your help.

In my case I have H1B visa stamped till Nov 18,2016 and I94 till same date. Urgently
I need to visit Canada on a short trip for personal reasons. I will return back to US in
2- 3 days which is before stamp/I94 expiration. Will this create any problems at POE

Also I have H1B extension in progress, Will that get effected at the time of re-entry ?

Your help is much appreciated.

Asked on October 23, 2016 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you have a still valid I-94 and proof that your H-1B extension is in process, there should not be any issues wtih you being able to reenter the US after a brief visit to Canada.  Have a letter from your employer with you as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption