Can a executor of a will do a quit claim deed

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a executor of a will do a quit claim deed

I’m the executor of my parents will,both are deceasesd. The will states
that after all bills have been paid my 3 siblings and it divide
everything equally. We inherited a piece of vacation property that my
sister and I’m have paid for all the taxes, lot fees and utilities. The
property is still in my mother’s name. Can it do a quit claim deed so
the property can be sold and my sister and I will get reimbursed for all
the money we have paid out. The other two siblings would get what ever
money minus what they did not help with in the support of the property.

Asked on October 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Legally, an executor has the authority to do a quit claim deed. But you have to follow the will's instructions. If the will states to distribute the proceeds after paying all bills, that means after paying all current bills and expenses--you cannot reimburse yourself and your sister for previous contributions under the will provision you describe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption