Can I evict someone from my home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I evict someone from my home?

I co-own a home, of which I do not live in but the other owner does. Can he allow a family to live in the house without my permission? If I don’t want that family living in the house, can I have them put out? It is a 50/50 ownership, however he feels that he has more rights than I do, because he has contributed more to the house. The family does not have a lease agreement but says that they are not a couple. What are my rights?

Asked on October 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Either co-owner may possess or occupy the home, or let his or her guests occupy it; you cannot evict his guests any more than you could evict him. If you cannot resolve this amicably, and neither of you is willing to buy out the other (or be bought out), your only option would be to file a lawsuit in county court "for partition" in which you seek a court order that the property be sold and the proceeds (if any) be divided between the owners. Unfortunately, that is the law's only remedy when co-owners cannot agree as to what to do with property. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption