Can a company/individual share my information?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company/individual share my information?

A company I previously worked for has shared my information with another company

which I did not consent or ask to be done. Is this legal? Does this comply with data protection? I apologize for my lack of knowledge, I’m Scottish and I was working for a company in the U.S.

Asked on November 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Vermont


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

What do you mean by "your information"? They can't share bank account information, your social security number, or any health information they may be privy to. All those are protected by one or more laws or legal principles. But they can share your address, name, phone number and email--those are not protected categories of information. They could also share your salary, benefits, job title & duties, and job performance, since those are also not protected under U.S. law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption