Can a company dock my paycheck for my till being short.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company dock my paycheck for my till being short.

Register was short 7.00 and another
time I received a counterfeit 5.00
bill.I was told they can dock my pay.

Asked on July 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In LA, an employer can deduct cash shortages from an employee's wages but only if the employee willfully or negligently caused the loss or the employee is convicted or pleads guilty to theft of the employer’s funds. Otherwise, no deduction can be made. However, the employer could still hold the worker liable but in order to collect it would have to either sue them in small claims court or get them to voluntarily repay the shortage. That having been said, most work arrangments are "at will" which means that an employee can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. Therefore, unless you have protection under the terms of a union agreement or employment contract, your job could be at risk if you don't repay. So the question becomes, is $12 worth it? 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption