Can a city make u get rid of a car parked in ur driveway

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a city make u get rid of a car parked in ur driveway

The car has valid plates. It runs but needs a
part to be driveable.

Asked on October 29, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If the car is violating a city ordinance, then yes--they can force you to remove it. Municipalities have wide discretion to create ordinances (laws) for health, for safety, for quality of life, etc. IF this car is violating an ordinance, they can force you to move it--but it has to be violating some defined ordinance; the city cannot simply, without a law to back it up, tell you to remove the car. So step 1 is find out which ordinances they claim it violates; step 2 is decide if you feel that the car may in fact be violating those ordinances. If you feel the city is right, remove the car; if you feel they are wrong and the ordinance does not apply, you could try to fight it in court (such as if/when they issue you a summons for the car), but bear in mind that winning is not guaranteed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption