Can a child sex offender live with children who are not family?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a child sex offender live with children who are not family?

My husband is letting one of his buddies live in our house because he got kicked out of his place. I found out the is has 2 convictions of 1st degree sexual assault of a child. He is registered as a sex offender at my address which I hate because I was sexually assaulted as a child I want to protect my daughter. I have all of the information on the offender: DOB, Name, Redirect URL, Convictions. Basically I want to know if it is illegal for him to live here because I have a 10 month old daughter?

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kansas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If that person is still on parole or probation, often times a condition of a person's probation if convicted of a sex crime is to have no contact with minor children. If the person is not on probation or parole, then obviously having contact with minor children will not cause any violations. The sex offender list is geared toward giving the public notice of a person's sex offender status, but in of itself is not a complete bar from a sex offender having contact with minor children. If he's on probation or parole, then it will be a violation of that probation or parole to have contact with minor children and live in your home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption