If I signed my bosses name on A/P and payroll checks while she was sick and she was aware of me doing this, was it a crime?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed my bosses name on A/P and payroll checks while she was sick and she was aware of me doing this, was it a crime?

I had no signature authority. I gained nothing from this financially even though there were some checks that were made out to me (expense checks and payroll checks)

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This could be considered fraud, and even "uttering and publishing" if these checks were ever presented to a financial institution to be cashed. The issue is whether or not you were acting as an "agent" on behalf of your boss, and within the capacity of an agent or representative, your were authorized to sign her name onto these checks. If so, then I doubt any criminal charges will issue. If not, then the issue will be whether or not your boss wishes to press charges against you for fraud or uttering and publishing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption