Being sued for an auto accident where I hit a bicyclist, what should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Being sued for an auto accident where I hit a bicyclist, what should I do?

I was involved in an auto accident almost 2 years ago where while I was driving, I was turning right at a red light, and hit a bicyclist in the crosswalk. I did not see him because other cars were blocking my sight. I was given a ticket but only had to pay a fee; I dot no points. I spoke to my insurer and I thought it was over with. Now, I just got served papers stating that my husband, insurance company and I are being sued. I was told by the person serving the summons to submit to my insurer, however I want to know what I should do first. Do I get my own representation? Do I just submit to my insurance company?

Asked on June 11, 2016 under Personal Injury, Michigan


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Give all documents you receive in the case to your auto insurance company. The insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you. That attorney will represent you, and will handle all aspects of the case for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption