Can I get into legal trouble by exposing an adulterous woman?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I get into legal trouble by exposing an adulterous woman?

I am the man she had the adulterous affair with. I am married too. We planned
on running away together and have for several years throughout the affair. I
couldn’t take being the other man and so I left the state. She lives in
Wisconsin, I now live in Indiana. We actually continued the affair by me
coming back to her state when I could. That became too much for her. She
reneged on her promisee of us becoming a legit couple and replaced me with
another man that is local to her. Of course I’m devastated and jealous but I
know that I can’t have her back. I have factual proofdescriptive details of
events in the life of the adulterous woman and her family and pictures, some
are of us nude/embracing and of our sex of our affair and wish to prove it to
her husband with those. My goal is to have him know what an awful woman
she is. I want nothing more than that. By doing this, will I get into legal

Asked on June 12, 2016 under Personal Injury, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your state does not have a cause of action for "alieanation of affection," so her husband cannot sue you for having an affair with his wife. If any part of what you say is not provably true, you could be sued for defamation; or to be more accurate, if she or her husband believe or maintain that any part is not true, they may try to sue you for defamation, forcing you to spend time and money defending yourself by proving the truth of what you alleged. And if they then divorce, expect to get caught up in the divorce proceedings and be required to give depositions and testimony--and possiby have your finances scrutinzed, too (as they see whether your received money from her or provide support to her). In short, you could be legally ok (not have to pay compensation or damages to anyone) but nonetheless let yourself in for a great deal of stress, cost, and court proceedings if you do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption