Can I be charged for insurance if I do not own a vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be charged for insurance if I do not own a vehicle?

I have just moved into my boyfriend’s parents’ house temporarily until we get our own place. I still use my parents address for mail and for my driver’s license so my mail doesn’t get lost or in the case of me losing my license if someone were to send it through the mail. However, now my parents’ insurance company, now assumes that I live there and also assume I am using their vehicles. I do not own a motor vehicle of any sort. They want to charge me $1000 for insurance if I don’t provide them with a lease agreement proving that I don’t live there. I feel like this is a threat as well as invasion of my privacy? If so, would this be worth taking to


Asked on October 19, 2019 under Insurance Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is legal and understandable why they are doing this. The more drivers in a home, the more risk of accident (especially if some of the drivers are under 25)--hence the more the insurer needs to, and is allowed to, charge for insurance. You are using your parent's address as your legal address--the address for your license and mail. The presumption is that you live where you license says you live, which reinforced by you using it as a mailing address. Therefore, they will treat you as if you are living at the home that you have designated on your license as being your address unless you provide proof that you live elsewhere. Since you don't have a lease showing that you do live elsewhere, you not be able to do this--you may simply have to resign yourself to paying this as the price you pay for not having your own legal address. In the meantime, if by living with your boyfriend's parents you are saving on rent and utilities, you should still be coming out well ahead.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption