Does an insurance adjuster have to pay my sales tax on my new vehicle?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an insurance adjuster have to pay my sales tax on my new vehicle?

A semi truck driver caught electrical
wires on his trailer and this pulled
down a power pole onto my car. His
company insurance totaled my car. They
call this property damage and not an
auto accident. Does the adjuster still
have to pay my sales tax on my new
vehicle even though its property damage.
I live in ohio.

Asked on July 3, 2018 under Accident Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, they don't. When property is destroyed (e.g. a car "totalled"), the at-fault party (or the at-fault party's insurer) has to pay the then-current fair market or blue book value of the property/car. It does not need to pay other things that increased the cost but are not part of the property's own value, like sale tax, any registration or other fees, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption