What to do if my family was attacked and is still being threatened?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my family was attacked and is still being threatened?

My father- in-law was beaten by 4 teens in his yard and my mother went to help him. Her finger was broken; he had a head injury and concussion. All I did was call the cops; my husband yelled at the parents of the teens. Now the their mother has signed complaints against my husband. My in-laws were told they were on their own when they went to file a complaint. The teens were never arrested and after the incident went and got a mob of friends and attempted to attack my husband with baseball bats.I am receiving messages via facebook threatening mine and my children’s lives. Can I sign a complaint? What else can we do?

Asked on August 21, 2011 New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to make another police report about over the incident over the new threats via facebook as soon as possible and after the report is made, contact the district attorney's office in the county where you live over the incident and request an appointment to discuss the attack.

You also need to retain private counsel for a restraining order against all those that attacked you and those who are making threats against you and your family. You and your husband also should consider a personal injury action against those that attacked and harmed your husband and those that have threatened you and your family.

The sooner you consult with such an attorney, the better.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption