Based on the court’s prior order, can I skip filing a motion to strike a respondent’s response?

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Based on the court’s prior order, can I skip filing a motion to strike a respondent’s response?

I filed for dissolution and a response was filed. Later, on my (petitioner’s) motion, the court ordered the respondent to provide her disclosures within 30 days and ordered that if the disclosures weren’t provided, my evidentiary sanctions, including striking the response, “are granted for trial.” The disclosures weren’t provided and I want to file a “Request to Enter Default” along with my proposed judgment. Q: Before requesting the default, do I first need to motion the court to strike the response? I want to avoid that because it will add delay for another hearing plus paying the motion fee.

Asked on December 17, 2010 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It all depends on if the first order was what is known as a "self-executing "order.  If it is considered self executing - meaning that no other motion is needed - then you can just file your request to enter a default as against the respondent.  If, however, it is not a self executing order then you have to move to strike the response and enterdefault.  It is difficult to tell without reading the order which one you have.  So I would suggest that you speak with someone on a consultation basis to find out your next step.  Possibly try a local clinic or bar association and see if they have a pro bono section. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption