What to do about separate assets that became joint assets?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about separate assets that became joint assets?

I’ve been married for 4 years and I’m getting divorced. We have houses and CD accounts together. All of them were my husband’s before we got married but after we got married my name was added as joint owner. Even his parent’s house and money was transferred to both our names. Am I entitle to get 50% of all?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, assets acquired prior to marriage are treated as separate property. That having been said, such property can be "transmutted" (i.e. changed) from a separate into marital property. This can happen in several ways, including the failure to keep the property separate by commingling it with marital assets and or adding a spouse's name to them (it serves as good evidence that the intent was to make the assets marital ones).

At this point you should consider consulting directly with a divorce attorney in your area. They can more fuller discuss your rights in this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption