Are tenants eligible for a tax rebate related to property tax paid through their rent?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Are tenants eligible for a tax rebate related to property tax paid through their rent?

In NJ.

Asked on April 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, tenants have no right to the property as owners. So unfortunately no matter what was paid through your rent or from your rent, those benefits are not yours to take. The benefits of property ownership include tax benefits and tax credits and of course on the other side of the spectrum property taxes and upkeep expenses. Check with your local accountant to see if you qualify for any other tax benefits.  If you are considering possibly becoming a homeowner, consider reviewing your income, your costs and expenses and the housing market around you to see if perhaps you qualify for a home loan. If you do, you can consider whether rebates and credits given by the credit nowadays can help in the total cost of home ownership.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption