can I sue for left staples near my naval are

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can I sue for left staples near my naval are

I had surgery about 7 years ago and just noticed when I took an X-ray that I have staples in my stomach.

Asked on October 3, 2019 under Malpractice Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Medical malpractice is negligence. Maryland has a five year statute of limitations for filing a medical malpractice lawsuit or three years from the date you discovered or reasonably should have discovered the malpractice.
You can use the three year rule ( less than three years since you discovered the surgical staples) to timely file your lawsuit without being barred by the statute of limitations.
Within 90 days after filing your lawsuit, you must file a certificate of qualified expert which means that a doctor in the same specialty as the doctor who committed the malpractice, has examined you and determined that the standard of care by your surgeon was not satisfied.
If the certificate of qualified expert is not filed, your lawsuit will be dismissed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption