Am I responsible for a liquor bond issued to a corporation that I was never an owner of?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for a liquor bond issued to a corporation that I was never an owner of?

I have been contacted by a collection agency who has provided me with paperwork showing what appears to be my signature on an application for a liquor bond (this is a forgery, although I cannot prove it). The bond was issued to a now defunct corporation and was claimed by the Kansas Dept of Revenue. I spoke with the DOR investigator and I am NOT on the hook for any of the back taxes because I was never an owner of the corporation. Am I responsible for this, even though my name is not on the bond? And how can a bond be issued to a non-owner?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Business Law, Missouri


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

1. How long ago was this paperwork and debt owed? Do not affirm the debt.

2. Check your state statute of limitations on debts being collectible or not.

3. If this is on your credit report (run the three credit reports to check), start a complaint and investigation through them regarding this issue.

4. What do you mean you cannot prove it is a forgery? Take the information given to you in writing from the DOR, show the paperwork from the Kansas Secretary of State showing you are not the owner (all these documents are public), have your driver's license, other sample contracts and checks you have signed, passports,etc showing your signature and march down to your state's attorney general's office.   Seek the attorney general's office's help with this matter. Clearly someone committing forgery on such a documents has many serious implications for public policy reasons, as well. 

     If it is the Missouri Attorney General's office, it is:

     If it is the Kansas Attorney General's office, it is:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption