Am I liable for a bill that I never received notice about?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I liable for a bill that I never received notice about?

I visited a hospital a while ago in boulder and when they were unable to run my insurance for a service they didn’t notify me about. I talked to an individual from the hospital when I received a collections letter about the account to ask why. I was told that they sent a few statements to an old address. I left a forwarding address when I moved to prevent such a thing from happening and when I called the apartment complex they said they had that address on file. I paid off a bill from the hospital for the visit so I thought I was all good with them legally. I contacted my insurance to see if they would take it on and they said it was never filed to them the hospital said they were unable to find me even though I was covered under my fathers plan at the time. Do I have a case since I never received any notification of an error with my insurance of any statements detailing the issue?

Asked on October 13, 2016 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the services were rendered for you, you are responsible or liable to pay for them, even if you were not billed earlier or provided notification of a problem with billing. However, if you were covered under an insurance plan at that time, then the insurer should still pay now, even if the bill, etc. is getting to them late. Inform collections that you are submitting it to your insurer and ask them to cooperate in doing so; copy the hospital etc. (if the collections dept. is not part of the hospital; i.e. if it's a separate collections agency) on that letter, which needs to be send to everyone some way that you can track and prove delivery. Then if you were under your father's policy at the time, have him (since it was his policy) forward/submit the bill to insurance and ask the insurer what other information they need. You and/or your father may have to coordinate, etc. among the hospital and insurance, but you should be able to get the insurance to cover this, at least to whatever extent they should under the terms of the policy. Any amount not paid by insurance, you will be liable for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption