Am I able to persue legal action if I was fired without notice?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I able to persue legal action if I was fired without notice?

I was employed but was taken off the schedule and terminated without any notice. All the while

I was trying to transfer and relocate to another location. I spoke with managers and regional managers and was told a transfer was in place and that I’d be able to move from one location to the next, however they gave me the runaround and then I dug deeper only to find out that I was terminated. Again, no one from retail shared this information when I spoke with them during my entire time trying to transfer.

Asked on February 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If this violated a still-in-effect (unexpired) written employment (or union or collective bargaining) contract for a definite term (e.g. a one-year, five-year, etc. contract), you can sue for breach of contract. But without a written employment contract, you were an employee at will and an employee at will may be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever, without any notice and without explanation. An employee at will has essentially no rights to his/her job.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption