UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


Ive been a stay at home mom for 17
years. We have been married 13 but
together for 20. Am I entitled to
alimony. I have a job that I make 500 a
month. He makes 65000 a year. Will he
have to help me?

Asked on February 8, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, when one one spouse earns much more than another, has much higher earning potential, has (we presume) been the main source of economic support for the family, the marriage as lasted many years, and the other spouse has sacrificed earning potential or the ability to focus on a career to care for children, the higher earning spouse will have to pay support to the caregiving spouse. All of the factors in your case argue in favor of support. You also would presumably get custody of the children (if they are still minors) and he'd have to pay child support, too. And you will get a share of the assets (money, property, belongings) owned by the family. Meet with a family or matrimonial law attorney to get a sense for how much, in your specific case, your spouse would likely have to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption