Can a grandmother force visitation?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a grandmother force visitation?

My mother in law is not happy that she does not get
to see her granddaughter. My wife and I dont want
our 2 yr old to be around her. She Is verbally
aggressive and believes some sort of physical
assault has taken place when no such thing as taken
place. She threatened to take legal action against
her own daughter.

Asked on February 8, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  In the State of Indiana Grandparetns do indeed have visitation rights but only under very limited circumstances.  Your situation does not fall under them.  I will give you a link to read.  This does not mean she can not make an allegation of abuse and seek custody based upon same, which seems to be what you are insinutating as well. So I would seek counsel to discuss your options.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption