What are my rights if a vice president in my company sent out emails soliciting donations for his trip to Aftica?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a vice president in my company sent out emails soliciting donations for his trip to Aftica?

He leads my division of a large publicly traded company. Is this appropriate? I feel I may be discriminated against if I don’t donate but feel it’s inappropriate for him to ask subordinates.

Asked on December 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

it is not appropriate--and may be against your company's internal policies--but unfortunately, most likely is legal: the law does not prohibit a private (i.e. not government) company, even a publically traded one, from having a manager or executive who does this, and similarly, the law does not make it illegal for the manager or executive to favor employees who make contributions. It would only be illegal if there is some contract (like a union contract) to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption