What are my rights if my employer is asking for my personal cell records in order to see if I called clients for personal training?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my employer is asking for my personal cell records in order to see if I called clients for personal training?

He is threatening me with embezzlement and criminal fraud over no-show clients, in which I believe I should still be paid for my time.

Asked on December 6, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

1) Unless and until you are involved in a lawsuit to which the records are relevant, you do not have to provide them.
2) However, if your employer believes you did something improper or illegal, he may fire you "for cause". If he thinks yiu committef a crime, he can file a police report.
3) If you believe that under the terms and conditions of your employmwbt (even unwritten, but understood and previously followed ones) you should be paid for no shows but your employer will not pay, you could sue for the money. To win, you would have to prove that under these circumstances, you should be paid.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption