What should we do if my husband and child were injured in a car accident?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should we do if my husband and child were injured in a car accident?

A man who was involved in a fatal accident 8 years ago. At the time of his trial he claimed that MSG affected him. He crossed the center lane, slamming into an on coming car and killed a mother of 2. They ended up settling. I believe he lost his license for 4 years and was on probation. Anyway, this same man slammed into the back of my husband’s car the other day with our 2 year old in the car. He was going between 60-70 mph in what I believe is a 30 mph zone. He sent my family skidding 250 ft slamming into a sign. My husband is suffering from terrible whiplash. Thankfully the baby only received a cut to the mouth. Our car is totaled. The police suspended the guy’s license at the scene. How do we get his license taken away and do we have a case to sue?

Asked on January 15, 2015 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

1) You don't take his license away--the state does that. You have no role to play in his license suspension or revocation, other than to cooperate with the authorities (e.g. if they need evidence or testimony).

2) From what you write, you would seem to have a viable lawsuit: if the other driver was going at 30 mph or more over the speed limits, he was driving carelessly, or negligentl, and would be at fault. Being at fault, he would be liable for your losses and injuries. You could potentially recover: a) any cost to repair your car (or its blue book/fair market value, if totaled, as you inidcate it is) to the extend you are not already paid for that by your own insurance; b) any out-of-pocket medical costs; c) possibly pain and suffering, if your husband experiences weeks, months, or longer of some disability or impairment of life; d) lost wages, if your husband misses work, and reduced earning potential, if he can't earn/work as much in the future; and e) possibly some other amounts as well. It woud be well worth your while to consult in detail about the case with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption