Can I sue if my landlord refused to repair a broken sidewalk and I fell?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue if my landlord refused to repair a broken sidewalk and I fell?

Asked on January 15, 2015 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You didn't give much by way of facts/details regarding your accident. That having been said, landlords are liable for dangerous conditions on their property if they knew or should have known about the danger. Therefore, if a tenant has complained, the landlord has knowledge of a problem and must fix it, failure to do so constitutes negligence. So if they don't and a tenant trips and is injured, the landlord will be liable (this is true whether the dangerous conditions is in the rental unit or in the common areas). Further the landlord should make repairs as quickly as possible.

At this point, you should consult with an attroney who specializes with in personal injury cases, they can best advice you as to your rightsand remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption